Saturday, July 11, 2009

Coming up with my song

A lot of "shamanic" practices call for the making of songs. I can see the value in this but I always ran into the problem of feeling cheesy when thinking about singing a song in English. I had come across the idea of how language is limited and can't fully express reality but that also what language is based on, what it comes from, perhaps a psychic type of communication, can come much closer. The idea is that is what talking in tongues is trying to access. This actually makes sense to me. When listening to pow wow tapes I feel emotions being stirred in me even though I don't know what they are saying. It could be that not everything they are singing are words anyhow. So, in trying to not culturally appropriate I feel that I need to make my song, or songs, based on sounds that stir emotion and not ones based on English. It will address the cheesiness factor and be more meaningful. At least that is my take on it at the moment.

No comments: